Community Service Workers Program
For over 20 years, ECOSLO has contracted with the San Luis Obispo's Superior Court's Community Service / Altnernative Work Service Program (CSW). This program allows people to work off fines for minor, non-violent offenses rather than paying the court balance. Each hour of work is equivalent to $10 paid in fines. CSWs also provide a means of reparations to the community. The program provides an opportunity to community members to learn new skills and develop a sense of caring about their community. The community, in turn, receives a valuable benefit of volunteer labor to complete environmental and social service projects.
How to Become a Community Service Worker
1. Please fill out the Community Service Worker Agreement Form. This form can be emailed, mailed*, faxed**, or delivered*** to ECOSLO. Click here to access the Community Service Worker Agreement Form.
2. Please fill out the Community Service Liability Release & Assumption of Risk Form. This form can be emailed, mailed*, faxed***, or delivered*** to ECOSLO. Click here to access the Community Service Liability Release & Assumption of Risk Form.
3. Submit a copy of your Court Arraignment Minute Order to ECOSLO. For out-of-county court cases, please contact ECOSLO.
4. Upon working for the program, CSWs must pay a $60 administration fee. The fee can be paid through our online payment system (you may use a credit or debit card), in cash, or by or money-order (no checks please!). ECOSLO will not report community service hours until the fee has been paid. Click the Pay Now button below to pay by PayPal (you don't need a PayPal account—once on the PayPal page, just click on the link that says “Don’t have a PayPal account?”)
5. Once you have been notified to begin your work, please download the Community Service Worker Timesheet. CSWs must bring the timesheet to each organization they work for. It is the responsibility of the CSW to contact the organizations. CSWs must work at ECOSLO-approved non-profit organizations (listed below). Out-of-county cases can volunteer through ECOSLO but must self-report their hours to the appropriate court. Click here to access the Community Service Worker Timesheet.
6. Timesheet must be submitted to ECOSLO by the 14th and the 29th of every month. Please notify ECOSLO if you plan to pay the balance of your fee.
*Please mail to ECOSLO, PO Box #1014, San Luis Obispo, CA 93406
**Please fax to 805-544-1871
***Please hand deliever to 75 Higuera Street, Suite 100, San Luis Obispo
Students Looking for Community Service Hours
Local students who need community service hours that are not required by a court order, do not need to apply or pay a fee. Please call ECOSLO for opportunities or check our calendar and join us for one our workdays.
Community Service Locations
Locations in San Luis Obispo:
Grass Roots II
Locations in Atascadero, Templeton, & Paso Robles:
Locations in Morro Bay & Los Osos:
Guerilla Gardening Program
Locations in Nipomo, Guadalupe, & Oceano:
Rancho de Los Animales
Location in Cambria: